These flapjacks are the best yet. Loads of B vitamins … B for brain, B for battery, B for badass.
My nippers dig them too.
Expect these breakfast bars to last for 10 days in the fridge, ready to grab belting out the door in the morning. (Eh, they’ll also make the tail-back traffic much more interesting).
Megawatt Breakfast Bars
140ml melted extra virgin coconut oil
80ml good quality honey (or maple syrup for vegans)
2 handfuls of regular pitted dates (100g)
1 banana, mashed
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
Freshly grated nutmeg, a pinch
Generous pinch of sea salt flakes
Just over 2 cups (200g) regular rolled oats
Just under 1 cup (100g) of walnuts, roughly broken
1 cup (100g) ground almonds
Handful of sunflower seeds
(1) Fire up your oven to 170 Celsius. A regular 180 C oven is too hot, and will result in crumblie bars. We use a tin no bigger than a magazine page (around 8×10 is perfect).
(2) Using a saucepan, gently melt the coconut oil with your honey for 2 minutes.
(3) Chop the dates and add them to the party, followed closely with the mashed banana.
(4) Add any spices you fancy using – orange rind and cinnamon? Lemon zest and ground ginger? We’re using nutmeg and sea salt flakes today. The Boss.
(5) Once these ingredients are thoroughly socialised and gorgeously glossy, add your remaining ingredients. Mix well, and scrape into your pre-lined tin.
(6) Press down firmly with your fingers. Admire your brilliance.
(7) Bake for 30 minutes until lightly golden, but not darker in shade. Oats will turn bitter if you leave them to brown. Remove the tray from the oven. Resist cutting until they have cooled down. I like to let them firm up in the fridge for a few hours.
Taking the hell out of healthy.
Hit “BOOM” at the top left corner, with your email address my friend, to receive a new weekly recipe direct to your inbox.